Monday, January 19, 2015

Indiana Considers Legalized Medical Cannabis


I am pleasantly surprised! The state of Indiana is considering the legalization of cannabis for medical purposes. Way to go Indiana! Or really credit goes to Senator Karen Tallian who submitted Senate Bill 284, and State Senator Pat Miller Chairperson to the Committee on Health and Provider Services.

I wrote in support of this bill. The email address is provided below. I hope you write or email the senator. Email her and ask for support of this important bill. Here is the text of my message to the senitor Pat Miller and her reply. Thanks for getting behind this. I know we can do it!

```````````````````````````` Letter ````````````````````````````````````
to: senator.miller@iga.in.gov
Greetings Senator Patricia Miller,

My name is James E. Parks Jr. and I am a cancer survivor. I also am a hepatitis C (HCV) survivor. I was cured of both diseases thanks to the Veterans Administration Health Care System in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Also I give thanks to the State of New Mexico because of their policy of legalized Medicinal Cannabis. I was a licensed user and also had license to cultivate cannabis for personal use by the state. I believe the use of cannabis was partly responsible for helping me to pull through the extremely harsh chemotherapy and radiation treatments I endured to rid myself of both HCV and cancer.

During my time fighting neck cancer, I lost all function of my taste buds and my appetite was extremely impaired. I started our weighing 165 lbs, and by the time I was through I was down to less than 130 lbs. Cannabis helped me to fight the extreme nausea and loss of appetite caused by the chemo. The radiation therapy I endured damaged the brachial plexus in my left shoulder leaving my arm severely disabled to this very day. I also am left with neuropathy in both my hands and feet. Cannabis was a great help in reducing the pain I have every single day from that condition.

I moved to Muncie Indiana last year so I could be close to family. I was extremely distressed to learn that Indiana was not even considering the legalizing of medicinal cannabis at the time. Now that I live in this state, I can tell that my neuropathy pain has increased. I am still under doctors care, and monitored for recurrence of the neck cancer. I fear the day that if the cancer returns I might have to go through chemotherapy without the benefit of cannabis to help me get through it. Honestly, as bad as it was with the help of cannabis, I really don't know if I could make it through that again without the help I know cannabis can give.

Please give the bill SB 284 a hearing. I urge you to support the legalization of this beneficial drug so that Hoosiers can have the proper care they need to fight debilitating diseases like cancer, HCV and neuropathic pain. Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of this important legislation.

James E Parks Jr.
Muncie, In.

```````````````````````````` Reply ````````````````````````````````````
Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bill 284, which would legalize medicinal marijuana. Your thoughts and opinions are an important part of the legislative process, and I respect your comments.

I appreciate your position on this issue. The legalization of marijuana, in one form or another, has been a growing issue in recent years and it will be discussed again this year. In order to be considered by the full Senate, a bill must first be heard and approved by the committee to which it is assigned. Senate Bill 284 has been assigned to the Committee on Health and Provider Services, of which I am the Chairperson. However, since I just received this bill, I have yet to have the opportunity to read it. I plan to speak with the bills author, Senator Karen Tallian, in the near future to discuss the bill in-depth.

Thank you again for your message. If I may be of further assistance, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Pat Miller
State Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment